So I have been going back and forth on the engine to put in this car. I went from an SR (my son likes the way it looks) to an RB25, to a SOHC KA-T to a DOHC KA-T to a 2JZGE (N/A to T eventually) to the VG30ET (SOHC turbo). I started to think about my uses, my power goals, the ability to get parts, engine availability for replacement, and overall price. I guess the best thing to do right now wold be to list the pros and cons for each engine right?
Pros and cons…
- Good power can handle daily up to 300hp on stock block.
- Easy install
- Massive aftermarket
- Expensive (3k for a low mileage S14 SR from a reputable importer.
- Low end torque too low (I prefer torque to high revs)
- Sounds amazing.
- Meets and exceeds power goals
- Low end torque available
- Revs well also
- Not a direct swap
- Parts can be hard to find
KA24E-T / KA24DE-T
- Parts readily available
- Good low end torque for an inline 4
- Responds well to boost
- Came in the car no need for refitting or rewire.
- Requires a lot of tuning
- Requires a custom turbo set (not hard but expensive compared to stock turbo engines)
- Getting harder to find in my area
VG30ET / VG33ET
- Meets my power goals and exceeds them
- Great low end torque
- Good aftermarket if you know where to go
- Plenty of research
- Engines available EVERYWHERE
- VG33E is used as an upgrade (10% more performance)
- I’m as familiar with the engine as I am with the SR and KA
- It’s not the prettiest engine
- It can sound odd if the exhaust in done wrong
- Good low end torque
- 300 to 400 hp
- Readily available engine
- Easy to work on
- Relatively easy on the wallet
With my goals in mind I have to set my sights on the VG. It’s a hell of a proven engine, that can make 300HP on a stock bottom end, has a good aftermarket, has a good following, I can pick up 17 VG33E’s from pick n pull today. They also have my low end torque needs and I really enjoy working on them.
My plans going forward…
- Z31 Trans
- Stock VG30ET turbo manifold (Changed this to a custom manifold made from a set of Porcshe headers)
- Satan turbo relocation pipe (Not needed anymore)
- HX35 turbo
- Larger injectors
- Possible V-mount FMIC and Radiator
- Replace the welded dif with a J30.